Most of us are limited in life not because of our lack of abilities but because of inaction. We devote a lot of time analyzing the best way that will work without fail but forget to take action. We are usually afraid to start because we think that the time is not right yet. There is no better time to learn that new skill, or to make the move to create a better and healthy relationship. Go ahead with your plans to touch a life. Go ahead and make that call to your loved ones whom you have been planning to call. Just take action and start that healthy exercise. Start that online business you have been thinking of starting. Go ahead, start that program you have been planning to start online. Action kills Procrastination and there is no better time to take action than now. If you cannot start right now online because of the nature of the project, start immediately the lockdown is over. According to Martin Luther King Jr; “You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.”
One way of overcoming procrastination is to have a particular quote on procrastination that you can have as reference for motivation each time you feel like delaying action to start.
Below are some powerful quotes on procrastination by great minds in history. We can learn from them to overcome our inaction.
Quotes On Procrastination
“We are now faced with the fact, my friends, that tomorrow is today. We are confronted with the fierce urgency of now. In this unfolding conundrum of life and history, there is such a thing as being too late. Procrastination is still the thief of time. Life often leaves us standing bare, naked, and dejected with a lost opportunity. . . . Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words, ‘Too late.’ … Now let us begin. Now let us rededicate ourselves to the long and bitter, but beautiful, struggle for a new world.”
Martin Luther King, Jr.
“Procrastination is one of the most common and deadliest of diseases and its toll on success and happiness is heavy.”
“Procrastination makes easy things hard, hard things harder.”
“My constant battle is putting aside time wasters, and I have to watch out for procrastination. Staying on the path of something you’re trying to create has much to do with having confidence in yourself and in your capacity to realize the things you want out of life.”
“Know the true value of time; snatch, seize, and enjoy every moment of it. No idleness, no laziness, no procrastination: never put off till tomorrow what you can do today.”
Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield
“Procrastination is the thief of time.”
“Procrastination is like a credit card: it’s a lot of fun until you get the bill.”
“A good procrastination should feel like you’re inserting lots and lots of commas into the sentence of your life”.
“I think the worst and most insidious procrastination for me is research. I will be looking for some bit of fact or figure to include in the novel, and before I know, I’ve wasted an entire morning delving into that subject matter without a word written.”
“For me, most of the anxiety and difficulty of writing takes place in the act of not writing. It’s the procrastination, the thinking about writing that’s difficult.”
“My biggest regret could be summed up in one word, and that’s procrastination.”
“One of the great challenges of our age, in which the tools of our productivity are also the tools of our leisure, is to figure out how to make more useful those moments of procrastination when we’re idling in front of our computer screens.”
“If you want to be certain, you should never get married. You should never change jobs. In fact, you might as well just stay home. Because I don’t know anybody who is certain. That need to be certain is just procrastination.”
“There’s a rumour that we actually make all our albums in the last six months before they’re released and the rest of it is procrastination.”
Robert Del Naja
“Procrastination is probably my worst habit out of many. Especially when it comes to paperwork.”
“I think every writer doubts themselves, every day. You procrastinate because you’re afraid. You’re always afraid it’s not going to be as good as you want it to be. But, the key is overcoming fear.”
“The time is always right to do what is right.”
Martin Luther King, Jr.
“You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.”
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Ways To Stop Procrastination
- Face your fear : The most prominent cause of procrastination is the inherent fear we have that we might fail because we are not prepared yet. We should not be afraid to fail because failing itself is part of success. Show me anybody who is very successful, on the flip side, that same person has failed many times as well. Ask Michael Jordan how many basketball scoring miss he had in his career as the most successful basketball player. He once said that he had more miss than scores during his successful career. Take action now.
- Forgive and Reward Yourself Always: Each time you make little success, make sure to reward yourself. Celebrate yourself for what you have accomplished. Also, when you have little failure, forgive yourself and move ahead. Take the failure as learning point and move on to the next action point.
- Focus: Distraction is a major killer of action. We get distracted by focusing too much on social media and other time wasters. This affects our time management abilities and hinders us from taking action at the right time.
- Set Achievable Goals: Break down your goals into small achievable goals, so that you can start immediately. Write down your goals and make daily list of actions for each day or milestone.
- Voice out Your Plan: Confide with your partner or trusted friend about your plan and goal and challenge them to keep you accountable. Make a bet with them so as to create need for you to follow your set timeline.
- Use a Song or Quote: You can have a song or a quote that you sing or read out when you feel that procrastination is holding you back from action. For instance, I started my online business training after coming into contact with a very good quote on procrastination from Martin Luther King, Jr “The time is always right to do what is right.”
I hope that these few words will motivate you to action. Yes, go ahead just take action. Start that book you have been planning to write. Go ahead and start that training or project. Go ahead and just take action today.
Thanks for your time and please kindly leave your comment and contribution below.
Stay Safe and Bye for now.